America's Largest Veterans Service Organization

myLegion.org Icon
Social IconsSocial IconsSocial IconsSocial IconsSocial Icons
Commander:            Larry Leighton  empower_LL@yahoo.com 623-776-5443
Senior Vice Commander: Jack Coyle grumpyjack896@gmail.com 219-746-0360
Junior Vice Commander: Ken Porizek kenbartend@yahoo.com 714-932-2014
Adjutant:              Jim Heller jmh7116@aol.com 623-975-4300
Finance Officer:      Denny Fossey dennyfossey@icloud.com 612-760-6741
Chaplain:              Paul Van Rooy pauljvanrooy@gmail.com 608-669-0595
Judge Advocate:        Dan Reilly  dipr52@yahoo.com 623-680-1667
Service Officer:      Mike Laing gunner85361@gmail.com 623-210-2538
Public Relations Officer:                                                   
Sergeant-At-Arms:     Jim Wheeler jcwheeler@aol.com 623-256-7601
Trustee:               Dennis Benjamin dandwbenjamin@msn.com 623-214-7252
Honor Guard Commander: Jack Coyle        grumpyjack896@gmail.com 219-746-0360
Contact for Flags:    Ron Ripley rsr-ur@hotmail.com 253-973-5652

Larry Leighton, Commander: July 1, 2018 - Present

Enlisted in the US Army on December 9, 1968 and completed basic training at Fort Polk, LA.  Received my Reserve Officer’s commission as a Second Lieutenant of Field Artillery from the Artillery Officer Candidate School at Fort Sill, OK on February 20, 1970. After commissioning, I received my Parachute Jump Wings at Fort Benning, GA. I was sent to Viet Nam, arriving in October, 1970 and assigned to the 3rd Battalion of the 319th Field Artillery, 173rd Airborne Brigade (Separate) as a Forward Observer in the 3rd Battalion, 503 Inf. I received the Purple Heart for grenade wounds received on a night assault operation on December 12, 1970.

I met and married my wife, Kay in August 1972 while stationed at Fort Campbell, KY (1971-1976). In 1988, I took command of the Second Armored Cavalry Regiment’s Support Squadron in Nuremberg, Germany.  While serving in this position, we deployed our Regiment to Saudi Arabia and took part in Operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm. In 1994, I took command of the 20th Area Support Group with headquarters in Taegu, South Korea in 1994 and served as that capacity until I retired on June 30, 1996.

Upon retiring, I was a Project Manager for a Supply Chain Execution Systems software development company in Orange County, CA. We moved to Corte Bella, Sun City West in 2005. 

thumbJack Coyle, Senior Vice Commander: July 1, 2018 - Present

I graduated from high school in June of 1970, received my induction notice in January 1971.  Reported for physical in February and went for basic training in May to Ft. Lewis Washington and Ft Gordon for AIT telephone and switchboard maintenance.  Then a thirty-day leave to get ready to go to Viet Nam, instead, our whole group was sent to Korea to begin our thirteen-month tour.  After sitting in Kimpo Air Base for three days waiting for an assignment, a Sargent walked in and said he was looking for a volunteer with a signal mos.  Not thinking anything of it, and what everyone had told me “Never volunteer for anything in the Army” I raised my hand and said, “here Sargent”.  As we were walking to the processing room the Sargent said: “I have good news and bad news, the bad news is you just volunteered to go up on the DMZ, the good news is you will get and extra sixty-five dollars a month for hazardous duty pay”. 

I had just volunteered to be part of the JSASG-UNC (Joint Security Area Support Group-United Nations Command) in Pan Mun Jom on the 38th parallel, this was an all-volunteer unit.  On days of MAC meetings, you would come face to face with the North Korean soldiers and they would never smile at you.  One of the duties there besides maintaining the telephone lines between guard posts was recording the meetings between the North and the South on reel-to-reel tape decks. I also entered into North Korea twice during my time there to do routine maintenance on the TA-312 field phone that was kept in the North Korean building known as Panmon Hall.  This field phone was used for the UNC to contact the North to set you meetings between both sides.  I would go into this building escorted by two North Korean soldiers to clean the contacts and change out the batteries.  After my thirteen months were up they were offering us to extend there to get a 5-month drop.  I extended another two months to get my five-month early out and arrived home before Christmas, December 16, 1972.  I then served two years active duty in the reserves and two years in-active in the reserves

I stayed in communications my whole life working for a couple of different contractors installing voice/data infrastructure systems mostly in new construction environments.  Retired February 27, 2015, and moved from Illinois to Sun City West, Arizona in June 2015.  I have been a member of the American Legion for 13 years, 3 of those with Post 94.

My wife and I have been married for forty-seven years and have two daughters, five grandsons, and five granddaughters.    



  Next Page >>